December 2, 2008

The greener side of the grass

Remember how we always tend to complain about something or the other? I have too... and this post is a good example in the recent past. Today I was on the other side, the greener side. Where the trains were more frequent than the other side, in this context. As I walked down to my side of the platform, I saw thronging crowds on the other side presumably waiting for an accident/incident-delayed train. And before I could register the sheer volume of the people there and the fact that we must've appeared much the same to them a few days ago, I heard the arrival of my train. And no, it didn't feel great to be standing on this side. Well, yes of course it didn't feel as frustrating as it were if you were the one waiting for the trains to arrive. But there was of course no jubilation or anything of that sort. On the other hand, I felt bad for those people who had an uncomfortable ride to endure. Taking the concept out a bit further from this literal 'train of thought' makes me wonder if that's how it feels if one were in the 'greener' side of things in other contexts. Unless we personally contributed to the side being the 'green' one, I don't think one feels the satisfaction or the pride in the 'accomplishment'. This theory of course doesn't extend to national/country issues but just to everyday life. Finally it's a matter of perception, which is why the phrase 'the grass is greener on the other side' was coined in the first place, to fit with everyone's different perspective of things. To me though, it just reminded me of the saying 'what goes around, comes around' and extending that further would bring in karma and other such things which would make this an unnecessarily long post. But I think the important thing is to recognize that you had your share on the greener side of things. That's what makes it possible to be able to deal with it later when life shelves you back to the not-so-green parts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"he important thing is to recognize that you had your share on the greener side of things. That's what makes it possible to be able to deal with it later when life shelves you back to the not-so-green parts." -

Well said. It takes insight to see things so clearly. Well done!

Jaya said...

Googler - > Thank you. I appreciate it. Keep visiting!

Anonymous said...

Interesting of u to notice. And its good that the better side gets the credit as well. Many ppl only think of situations when they ar eon the bad side.

Post a Comment