June 4, 2007

The classic "bulb"

How long has it been since we've heard the phrase "bulb adichuten", the Madras lingo for "mera popat ho gaya" or simply put, an ungloriously "dumb" moment (I am not able to find the right words to describe it!)

It happened to me over the weekend.. It wasn't embarassing. It was just funny. We were at a glorious buffet lunch in Milwaukee downtown. Nithya and I were analyzing the delicacies in front of us and I am not going to go into how yumm the food was. But there was Pani Puri and after a few failed attaempts, I located the "meeta chutney" or the tamarind sauce which according to me defines the taste of the pani puri. I had already held up the growing queue behind me, having fussed over many things. Nithya was standing in front of me and was attempting to pour the chutney into each of 3 puris. And I could sense the glare of the giril behind me. I looked at Nithya hurriedly and said - "Freeyavidu, Moraikara." loosely translated as "Forget it, she's glaring." Imagine my shock when the girl chirps in pure ABCD accent "Moraikalai." = "Nope, I m not glaring." Shocked as we were, Nithya and I laughed it away and practically dropped the ladle and ran for our table! It was hilarious. You should've been there.

The rest of lunch was ofcourse spent skirting around the girl's table and running a marathon past it, etc. And they happened to leave at the same time as we did. We were so tickled that we had to get Ram to bring the car from the parking lot to us coz we couldnt keep a straight face. An ode to the classic "bulb" I say!

4 comments:

Ram said...

what galeej... bad assumption that there aren't too many tammuz in Mil :-) I would have concluded with.. then you have beautiful eyes to save myself :-)

Jaya said...

Yeah right. I didnt wanna appear weirder than what she thot I might've been... not to mention a compliment from the opposite sex demands far more attention than the same.

Sudarshan said...

Vazhkaiyla bulb ye vanagadha madiri oru blog yezhdirikka... :P

Jaya said...

Indha maadhri kevala pattu romba naal achu!

Post a Comment