October 15, 2009

Chai.. like never before

This post is dedicated to my fairy godmother of chai - my Paati. Happy Birthday Paati!!

This has lesser to do with chai than to do with the mechanism of making chai. Try agonizing over a blasted hotplate that takes 10-15 minutes to make one cup of tea. And maybe 8 minutes once you have boiled the water and the milk separately in the microwave oven. And then try using a gas. Oh that wondrous thing called gas... which has flames. That which can make tea from the coldest of waters and most refrigerated of milk in under 2 minutes. Good bless the gas!

Now of course I have to get used to doing things one at a time... Previously I used to get along with my morning ablusions while the chai sat on the stove. I could afford a nap while the food cooked leisurely for hours together. Those days are gone. And I welcome them with outstretched arms. Enter the era of the gas oven... more food blogs will follow soon of course. Cheers to gas!

7 comments:

Ones and zeroes and myself said...

yeah..cheers to cooking gas.. lets be more precise Jaya... ;o)

Femba Girl said...

I recently discovered that adding black pepper to chai (with ginger and cardamom of course) is the BESTEST thing on a cold day!

Musing Gal said...

What a coincidence.. I created one on Tea too :). check it out..
http://musinggalfoodcorner.blogspot.com/2009/10/beverage-of-world.html

Footloose.. also it helps with cold, flu or sore throat. Chai the Indian way is remarkable with no match. The oter teas I like are the twining brand's Earl Grey, Passion flavour from Tazo, Jasmine Tea and also the Iced Tea :)

Jaya said...

Thanks for the comments, junta... Am having so much fun cooking with this gas stove that has flames. :D. Food treats will be posted soon!! Enjoy!

Madhumathi said...

Jaya..i am little lost.. cooking with gas stove with flames.. what is so different??? I do it everyday here...& dont find it so amusing!!

Jaya said...

Madhumathi->It's a lost cause trying to explain to you. you don't know what you have untill you don't have it anymore... I used to cook with a hotplate that used to take 30 minutes to make 2 cups of tea. That meant I could put the tea on the hotplate, go brush my teeth, take a shower, come back and still it wouldn't be done. What's so great about a flame-wala gas? Before you turn your back on it, the tea's done.. that's what!! You should try visiting one of these places abroad with a hotplate and you'll know just the difference (the ones in the US seem more powerful than the sad little ones in France - or maybe it was just mine). But the relief in having a fast cooking mechanism is palpable! Cheers to flame gas!

Madhumathi said...

oh...ok...i dint know abt this part.. Good to know :)
Anyways, do post some yummy recipes, now that u have "gas stove" :)
Also, ur other blog on travel...looks like its orphaned compared to this one. YYYYYYYY?

Post a Comment