October 21, 2009

C(h)ow!

It's uncanny how being a vegetarian can suddenly make you feel like a cow. Rewind to the scene in the banquet lunch for the conference. I have just made the shocking announcement to the waiter that I am vegetarian and yes, that means, no fish either. He looks at me accusingly for a second before offering that I should probably have a salad for the appetizer. This was a better suggestion than I had expected and I nodded encouragingly to him. So while the other 9 people at our table chowed on some colourful fish dish, I cowed on fresh iceberg lettuce garnished with some dressing. No complaints there. Then came the main course for everyone else - some beef/duck delicacy, with a side of my poor lettuce salad and a couple of slices of garlic toast. The waiter bends close to me to whisper that they haven't got anything else for me. Will salad be okay for me again? What other option did I have to quell the raging groans from my tummy but to say yes? I must've appeared extra grateful for what was to come. The same starter salad, but a little more in quantity, a couple of slices of toast and half a zesty lemon to complete the dish. You would think that they could use their imagination a bit here. A few sliced salad (roma) tomatoes would have done wonders to the perception of the dish. Oh well, this would have to do. Then it was time for dessert. The one course I knew that couldn't go wrong. The waiter, who no doubt thought he was doing me a favour, deftly avoided placing the yummy looking chocolate mousse in front of me. Instead, he placed a plate of fruits (one each of apple, banana, kiwi, orange and pear) in front of me with a flourish, a knowing smile and the words - But of course madame doesn't eat eggs? It was more an assumption than a question at this point. And I didn't have the heart to oppose his knowledge of vegetarianism. The fruits vanished into my bag and here I am left wondering why semi-starvation is the alternate meaning of vegetarianism, even in this day and age.

On the brighter side, I know they'll be better prepared tomorrow. Watch this space for updates.

BTW, Happy Birthday KG :)

4 comments:

Sudharsan said...

Being a vegetarian, this happens :(

Ones and zeroes and myself said...

lol....no updates means the same thing happened the next day?

Anonymous said...

how about a little wine with the salad :-)

Madhumathi said...

me too same experience in Thailand!! Oh..how i hate that place for keeping me starved....

Post a Comment