March 4, 2008

Back to School

Remember those days? When we were children and we started school after a 3 month summer vacation? New textbooks and notebooks... all wrapped smartly in brown paper. I remember how choosing labels was a big deal. We had crisp new uniforms, sometimes a new school bag we couldn't wait to show off and sharpened pencils and new ink pens. Plus meeting many friends after a whole 3 months (we weren't used to calling them over break). Thats what made school reopening very exciting... at least for the first week when we didn't have homework, classwork or assignments to do.

Guess what? I joined school today. After a whole 3 month wedding break. After 9 months of working. A year after completing my Masters. This time for a higher objective - a PhD. And no, I don't need to take classes or give exams. I just have to do what I like best - research. And so its begun. I have my new desk (though temporary), my computer access and I've started reading up on what I might be required to do... And now I realize the importance of the environment. While at home, I couldn't read 2 lines of a paper without distraction or without switching over to something else, here I've already read 3 papers in my 2 hours here (hence the break, hehe)... And whats more surprising - I'm excited about this. Its a different kind of rush. Maybe it has to do with the two little prefix letters these three years will earn me superceding the 2 letters behind my name currently.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey Jaya...

Hmm...good luck with ur Phd...I am sure those 2 prefix letters will be worth the 3 yrs of hardwork ...good going gal!

Jaya said...

Thanks a bunch Munch :)

Pramod said...

Hmmm Phd is one course where u get paid to study!!!! i wish we were paid to listen to some of ours teachers in school and college:P:P

Goodluck with ur PhD.

Shiva kumar Shankar said...

3yrs thats it?? man its gonna be hectic...
U just started and u like it best, Here's to hope you like it best amidst some lows too.
Good luck with ur Phd. U r doing something, that I lost interest in doing after an M.S Experience.

Post a Comment