April 7, 2006

When I first went to the pool....

Water has terrified me from since I was young.. I can never say why... I didnt have one of those romanchak close-shave with water things where I almost died and all to justify the fear. And what makes it stranger is that by zodiac, I am a Scorpion - a pure water sign (which means I should be hydrophilic... which isnt the case). And so naturally, the last time I did anything in a swimming pool was when I was 6 and I went to 'Hubara Club' in Kuwait with my childhood pals and waded in the 2 feet kids section!

So, when UC built its sexy new REC center, there was virtually no excuse not to try the pool. And my motivation was Ashwin, who was pestering every woman he knew to buy swimming apparel and get into the water. I resisted for sometime before my feeling that not-knowing-something-is-a-handicap feeling took over. (Besides, in Chennai, there is noooo water to live.. let alone swim) Besides the fact, its F-R-E-E.. the No.1 motivator for most desis!

After a lot of deliberation, there I was, finally excited yesterday and very shy in my new swim clothes, ofcourse all wrapped in a towel also after having made plans to meet Ashwin at the pool at a given time. (well, my first surprise came when I was instructed to shower with the swimsuit on! - Dont ask me what I expected) And then I was there in the pool.. and Ashwin's like, "Ok.. get in the water now.." We were in the 4-feet section. Again, I dont know what I expected... But I was taken aback at the suggestion and it took me like 3 minutes to tell myself, since I was 5'3", I couldnt possibly die in 4 feet of water!

I was in!!! Bobbing up and down, I had my first real feeling of buoyancy (I wasnt so aware of all these intricacies when I was 6 I think... which is why I wouldve learned swimming much faster back then!) After the initial bobbing and feeling the water push me up, Ashwin made one more ridiculous suggestion. "Put your head under water." This time I knew he was out to kill me... I mean.. How could a beginner put their nose and ears under water without dying? He showed me how.. And I knew I couldnt do it. After seeing him do it a bunch of times, my brain convinced me that if he didnt die, I wouldnt either and I could always come up for air. And so I took the plunge.. literally! And in like 3 seconds, I panicked and came up sure my ears would be clogged and I wouldnt be able to see/breathe again. I was wrong! I was perfectly alright and rapidly my fear melted away slowly but surely.

Well.. Ashwin should be a professor some day... He has the exact capacity to push for more and not be happy with what he's got. Me as his pupil was bad enough.. making me try incredulous stuff was even more and when I was alive and willing, he tried even more.. He wanted me to try floating... Thats a magic word as far as I'm concerned.. I have never understood the mechanics or kinematics of floating and stuff and tried everything my coach told me and well, all I can say is, "I'm getting there!!" And after a bunch of attempts, I was never really parallel and never really moving my whole leg... But well, I tried and in one day, you cant really get everything!

Learning to swim is like learning to ride a bike... There has to be some fallback somewhere... and I met my match in floating... I'm guessing its gonna take me a couple of attempts more to get the rhythm n stuff and probably ovecoming the fear of water all over again.. Atleast now though, I believe I can! :) Thanks da Ashwin!

3 comments:

Jaya said...

Thanks Saif!! I really hope it works for me :)

Anonymous said...

is it open only to UC students or are guests welcome too?

even I have heard that the new REC centre is amazing... Hope to see it when I visit UC next

Jaya said...

I think you need to pay some fee for enrollment if u r non-UC.. It is pretty nice... Come to UC soon so u can see it!

Post a Comment