April 18, 2006

Munich - the movie


So, how many of you watched the movie in the first place? Second... how many of you knew it was inspired from a book (from real events but ultimately, the book?) Third... how many of you have read that book? Yipppeeeeee.. I qualify for all 3!!! My no good campus theatre aired 'Munich' in our MainStreet Cinema only recently. And so, I dragged Pushkar (he qualifies all categories too) and Sachin (not read book yet) along (as usual).

Pushkar was the one who in the first place gave me the book to read. And its more like a documentary with a lot of dates and events and not so much my kind of book.. But I am a total bookie and so pretty much any book qualifies. We sat and watched the movie in silence... I didnt even remember the main character's name (thats a pretty bad state, given that I remember practically every character in the gazillion books that I've read). Anyways, his name is Avner and its a good revenge story and the fact that Eric Bana played the role (and he's soo yummy) didnt hurt at all... The movie was what usually movies are - an unfaithful representation of the book and probably real events as Pushkar didnt fail to iterate a million times... Now, you know how I feel when I watch Harry Potter movies, Pushkar!!

The movie itself also felt like a documentary and everything happened quickly and even then the movie ran for 2hr and 44 min.. Thats huge for an English movie... And I wonder if people who didnt know of the events or read the book understood the flow. Eric Bana was predominantly good and faking an Israeli accent. He slipped up a couple of times where his natural accent took over.. but these were minor slips who people like me would only notice. As I sunk lower in my seat, I observed my companions -- Sachin was concentrating hard and understanding the movie... Pushkar was comparing the movie frame by frame with the book (he's read it 4 times and remembered every damn thing!) and turning up disappointed... As for me, I vaguely remembered things and associated them here n there.. The movie was decent I thought... But it made me remember one thing I always claimed -- No movie is ever going to be as good as its book... Its impossible! The media are soo different that nothing that a movie can make can match the imagination your mind did! And it amazes me...

All said n done, I am setting up myself for what could turn out to be another disappointment - 'Da Vinci Code' - releasing May 19...

3 comments:

Caffeinism said...

I totally agree...all movies are poor versions of their respective books...

Jaya said...

Yep Ms Caffeine.. I've had more disappointments than one!

Jaya said...

Well, even while he was at his most intimate, the horrors of the past were haunting him.. Thats what Spielberg was showing.., it made him a li'l passionless and he was practically killing his wife!

Post a Comment