May 29, 2007

Here Wii Is....


I had the opportunity to play with Wii last evening, thanks to my housemate. And in case you haven't heard about Wii or need more information, go here. Its Nintendo's answer to the X-Box and any other contemporaries I am not aware of. The thing that makes Wii different is what you all must already know by now.. That it reacts to you. That the 'joystick' is actually a wireless controller that signals to a sensor that you attach to your TV. And then the magic begins.

The controller is impressively responsive and sensitive and reacts to the slightest twirls on your hand. What makes it more fab is that for certain games , like boxing for example, it has an auxillary connector unit, making the whole thing funciton like a nanchuk. Its tremendous fun and I had the opportunity to play Tennis (you have hold your controller as the racquet and literally make those backhands, volleys and slices to win points), Golf (the controller becomes yr club), Baseball, Bowling and even Boxing! Was unbelievable fun and more exercise than any other video game can offer. Indeed after 20 minutes of boxing, I can barely lift my hands above my shoulders today... Excellent workout ;) (For the lazy ones like me).

The games themselves are great fun and imagination is the limit. The ones I saw were all 2D normal games, nothing elaborate. No level-after-level gaming like say Super Mario etc (yet). But there must definitely be more than what I was able to experience. I guess one might think its a tad overpriced... but with new innovations, honestly, sky's the limit. Brushing with such technology has always made me wonder, whats awaiting us? Will it be a mini-imax of sorts projecting 3-D images to your walls maybe? Wii will wait n watch. For now, welcome to the newer generation of gaming.

6 comments:

Rathish a.k.a The Rat said...

How could you, Jaya? How could you? Not only do you use my competitor's product, you actually praise it in your blog... I'm so disappointed that you aren't even aware of Playstation 3.

I was happy that you mentioned it was over-priced. Not many people are aware that Nintendo Wii is the only console that is priced more than its manufacturing cost.

Anyways, I'll end my mock anger now. It was nice to get a first-hand report from someone I knew. It looks like a fun product. I should try it sometime.

Jaya said...

Hi Rats,

Thanks for visiting... :P And hey, I didnt want to 'insult' your product by mentioning it here.. :P On a serious note, is PS III also a sensor-based movement game? You shd try Wii... Its not too much on graphics or anything. Its just fun actually moving arnd while playing. Enjoy!

Rathish a.k.a The Rat said...

Hi Jaya,
Yes, the PS3 also has a motion-sensitive controller, but the sensor mechanism is different from the Wii.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKjueOSdPiM

Sudarshan said...

Although i am not much of a gaming freak...but Wii seems interesting...
chee i wanna try this one as well...most ask one of my friends to get one as well :)

Ram said...

Oh C'mon!!! You can't even compare the Wii and the PS3... it would be like comparing the cheapo Nintendo Green House to an Atari :-)

Of course I will never say anything against Western Bar!

Jaya said...

Who compared the two?!? This was just a simple review of what I'd played with! And FYI, u were glued to the Greenhouse a lot more than the Atari (I m not including the Pegasus breed on this one)

Post a Comment