January 8, 2007

The Prestige


Warning: There are some spoilers ahead


Ah, I am back to my movie reviews and I feel at home again... The Prestige is one of those movies that comes once in many many years and when it does, it shouldnt be missed. I was very late to catch the movie after all the rave reviews from peers but finally I did and am I glad or what...

I have always been fascinated by magic. As kids, my bro and I unknowingly stumbled across a tape of The Magic of David Copperfield and that began a love story with magic and it surpassed everything I ever imagined. We saw all these amazing tricks including the "Statue of Liberty" caper. But I am not talking about David here. I am going to talk about The Prestige and the base holding the movie together was magic. And Christian Bale (Batman Begins) and Hugh Jackman, the 2 magicians are out of this world. But the real winner in this movie is the plot itself. It did open the door to disclosing the trick behind some of the illusions, some shocking, nevertheless. But the way the 2 magicians try to foil one another's tricks is amazing and keeps the audience guessing at every juncture.

And on it goes as each tries to better the other in the ultimate magical game, building one unbelievable trick after another before finally both of them stand to lose everything that they have. Over the movies that I have seen, I have realized that I have a special soft-corner for Scarlett Johansson, who shines in this movie as well, as the mistress of both magicians. In a highly fast-paced and strongly gripping plot, one magician finally gets the better of another.

I would highly recommend this movie to anyone who needs some food for his intellect after having seen a whole bunch of particularly brainless movies in multiple languages. Bale and Jackman have done commendable jobs with the role and I cant imagine a better person for looking the part of magician than Jackman (except my David maybe :)) This is honestly one of the better movies I ave ever scene and I highly recommend it! If u havent already seen it, you should be seeing it RIGHT AWAY!

8 comments:

Sudarshan said...

I have seen a lot of trailers of this movie..and i was very impressed as well.. would definitely wanna watch it whenever it releases in hyd..which will only be after its released all over the world :(....guess english movies first release in timbuktu and then only in hyd :(

Anonymous said...

amazing movie isnt it??? thankfully i saw this on the very first week of release in AMC. went tere with no expectations just for the heck of my friends and was completely mesmerised by tat movie.

Jaya said...

Was terrific.. And Sudarshan.. it still hasnt released in Hyd? What a galeej!

rrv said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rrv said...

Just saw this movie this Saturday.
Didnt expect it to be all that great, which is perhaps why I liked it so much.
The twists continue to the very end!!
And did you notice who plays Nikola Tesla? David Bowie!!

The only problem was the accent. I couldnt follow some of Borden's lines.

But, nice movie!

peri said...

Though movie is taken snobbishly, it got an impressive review from all...waiting to watch .

Nice review !!

Sandeep said...

A few of the themes in the movie did seem a little far-fetched, but nevertheless, it did have quite an intriguing plot!

Nice review. Do keep writing!

Dilip said...

the movie was a great entertainer, and great one for discussion. I ended discussing it for 2 days with ppl around me.....though for some reason, it didnt get nominated for oscars and also, it is not as popular as i expected it to be....

Post a Comment