December 22, 2006

~Vivah Reloaded!~


Ok ok... Of late, I have been writing soo many movie reviews, I have been thinking of either renaming this blog to "Random Reels" or making a new blog, possibly by that name. (Any other suggestions will be welcome as well) So, I thought I should spice up this review. This will no longer be a simple review of the movie. Many people have done that. So, before scooting to the other part of this blog, my vivid imagination, lemme quickly summarize what I thought about this movie.

Old fashioned romance rocks!! For the life of me, I can't picture me or any of my girl friends ever pull off the Poonam character E-V-E-R! I can't imagine being intrigued by a mere brush of fingers (even from the guy I am to marry) or the half-glances, etc. And thats why I thought it was sweet. So out of place in the contemporary society of miniskirts and Mallika Sherawats. Subtle.. sweet... surreal and feel-good. Ofcourse, the movie had a storyline, and its exactly that, a line - the caption of the movie: A journey from engagement to marriage. True to their word, or line if you like, there wasn't anything else. The people's characters are all unbelievably good. And there are hardly hassles or hurdles till a very predictable climax. And ofcourse, all's well that ends well. And you knew that the second you saw the Rajshri banner and not after 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Ok.. so what would happen if you (if you're a girl) or your girlfriend/fiancee (if you're a guy) were like Poonam? That head-bowed, tow-staring, hardly uttering a word, a-perfect-advertisement-for-a-lapel-mic kind of girl? Someone who's heart flutters at every touch, whisper, glance? Someone who would burn from one glance of your beau's? Simple, beautiful, salwar-kameez clad? Well, on some level, its probably every man's dream.. But the minute he realises he has all the reins on this relationship and he is not just going to have to come up with great ideas to keep the romance flowing but also to hear a few golden words from those forbidden lips, he's gonna lose it pretty soon (unless he is a male chauvanist who wants every iota of control on his woman). I tried imagining me as a submissive (Ok, I am not implying that Poonam is submissive in the movie, but there was no evidence that she was not!), docile woman who nodded to every khwahish of her man and it cracked me up. Me never looking up at the guy, never voicing my opinion, wow! It will be a totally new perspective and probably worth a try (on a day I wanna get someone to LAUGH!) And I'd like to hear all your views (not on me, DUH!, but on the girl u're with - or would like to be with, or just yourself-should you be a girl) Will be an interesting analysis...

Go Post!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

U write good reviews so maybe u should have a new blog...but without the word "random" cos well its too cliched...

cheers

Jaya said...

Thanks caffeine... And how come u dont allow comments on yr blog anymore?

Sudarshan said...

I just cant believe u took the time first to see such a crappy movie...and then actually write abt the crappy movie...yeah i guess u should rename ur blog to 'movie reviews, including crappy ones' :)
anyway here is my big thumbs down for a character like poonam....cant believe that sane minded guys would fall for such a character :)... my choice would be a girl who is kinda the opposite, in a sense having independent views abt anything and everything and will stick to her guns unless convinced by logical arguements to the contrary...after all i believe the fundemental need in a relationship is to be complementary and learn from ur partner...

Jaya said...

Sure I'd be shocked had u liked it Suds. Its just MALE that u hate the movie.. And yes, crappy movies too deserve a mention.. I was thoroughly bored thru Vivah and every second I was struck by how I had NOTHING in common with Poonam... Thats y the blog in the first place. I also saw Babul and I know I dont have it in me to review ANOTHER crappy movie.. So, I let it rest in peace :)

Saumya said...

Hey,

I agree with you that directors in Bollywood are obsessed with the happily ever after endings..but then again arent we all?..and i think the thing that struck me most about this movie was that there was a risk involved in making it like it is..so simple that it was almost unbelievable..and surreal..(did u use that in ur blog??..cant emphasis more..)..and in an age when sex sells, i think this movie kinda proved to me that movies can be made like this..i mean i kept waiting for something bad to happen or some character to suddenly wake up and become mean ...and i think therein lies the success of this movie wherein it goes and does something completely unexpected..no cliched rivalry between the brothers or their wives, or sudden change of mind of the family on her becoming "ugly" after the fire..:)..so yes i liked it for these reasons..

S2 said...

A girl like Poonam, is every man's dream. That's what I hear when I chat with friends.
If you ask me, it would be good for a start. Thats all. It will never move forward. We need a reciprocative person to take a relationship forward.
You have hinted at starting a new blog for movies. Good that you didn't start one. In my opinion, maintaining one blog with a single page is easy for readers who follow you - one bookmark, easy to remember URL etc. Making full use of the label feature (both for categories and the tag cloud) should help to organize the posts in a blog.
BTW, I know you have another blog for travels.

Post a Comment