August 28, 2006

Of hot coffee and brewing thesis...


I've always had this vision... Of me sitting in this quaint little coffee shop (but with Wi-Fi ofcourse!) with just the right setting, not too many seats, not too crowded. I see myself sitting in this unseen corner of the coffee shop, adjacent to a window, opening out into the world. On my table, is this steaming cup of coffee and my laptop, open with everything I need for the thesis writing - the PDFs, the diagrams, the Word Documents, the Emails.. the works... This is how I have envisioned writing my thesis...

Now for the moment of truth.. I don't like coffee!!! Coming from a Tamil girl, currently in the US, I bet many eyebrows will be raised. The only coffee I willingly order is cold coffee (believe it, its the smell, sometimes and bitterness mostly that I dislike!) and cold coffee thankfully eliminates both the factors! Alright, time to appease the offended.. These days I do have a lot of coffee and I feel bad having missed out on the "filter-kaapi" back home. I mean if I can live after drinking all this strong n bitter trash, back home's Narasus, Bru n leo wouldve been divine, I guess... So, my vision still has all the coffee and the thesis. I donno if the coffee is going to be refilled.. I sure as hell know my brain has to be...

No, I am not done with all of the work for my Masters, but I am going to write my thesis, just the way I want to. I am going to haunt the Starbucks gallery, Ben n Jerrys, even PotBelly on Calhoun and maybe I will go as far as Sitwell on Ludlow, in search and expectation of fullfilling my vision and seeing if living it feels as good as imagining it.. Wish me luck! :-)

5 comments:

Jaya said...

Manushyan-> The essence was just that I want to do something to see if my vision of writing my thesis in a coffee shop feels as good as I imagined it to be.. Simple :)

Ram said...

It is never too quiet in coffee shops these days.. whether it is Cafe Coffee Day or Starbucks.. so I envision writing my thesis in a slightly different way... just like I would write my term paper in Chennai... at 1am, atop the broken dining table, with a flask full of hot tea at my disposal.. with no sounds whatsoever except some distant snores or the quiet hum of the fan with that occassional squeal since it is due for oiling..

Jaya said...

Bala -> Thats a luxury I wish I cud afford.. Heheheh...

Curious Cat said...

Perfect.
If I ain't wrong, I remember reading somewhere that Rowling wrote her Potter stuff in a similar ambience.
Good luck!

Jaya said...

I am in the coffee shop.. but dealig with something else! My comp suddenly slowed down and gave me the scare of my life... If its lost, I might as well find a well and jump into it... But Thank God, it seems to be picking up...

Manushyan-> Aw come on! Fellow readers n bloggers r all pals

Curious Cat-> I have the actual Rowling in me too.. Can't wait to finish my thesis to unleash my zeal for writing!

Post a Comment