May 1, 2006

Poor me..

I work in MEMS... So, I work with chemicals... The main chemical I work with is Hydrofluric Acid... It sounds innocent enough right? I mean, you would think that atmost it would be as harmful as say sulphuric acid?

Read on...
_____________________________________________________
Hazards Identification -- HF
Emergency Overview
POISON! DANGER! CORROSIVE. EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS LIQUID AND VAPOR. CAUSES SEVERE BURNS WHICH MAY NOT BE IMMEDIATELY PAINFUL OR VISIBLE. MAY BE FATAL IF SWALLOWED OR INHALED. LIQUID AND VAPOR CAN BURN SKIN, EYES AND RESPIRATORY TRACT. CAUSES BONE DAMAGE. REACTION WITH CERTAIN METALS GENERATES FLAMMABLE AND POTENTIALLY EXPLOSIVE HYDROGEN GAS.

Potential Health Effects
----------------------------------
Exposure to hydrofluoric acid can produce harmful health effects that may not be immediately apparent.
Inhalation: Severely corrosive to the respiratory tract. May cause sore throat, coughing, labored breathing and lung congestion/inflammation.
Ingestion: Corrosive. May cause sore throat, abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, severe burns of the digestive tract, and kidney dysfunction.
Skin Contact: Corrosive to the skin. Skin contact causes serious skin burns which may not be immediately apparent or painful. Symptoms may be delayed 8 hours or longer. The fluoride ion readily penetrates the skin causing destruction of deep tissue layers and even bone.
Eye Contact: Corrosive to the eyes. Symptoms of redness, pain, blurred vision, and permanent eye damage may occur. Chronic Exposure: Intake of more than 6 mg of fluorine per day may result in fluorosis, bone and joint damage. Hypocalcemia and hypomagnesemia can occur from absorption of fluoride ion into blood stream.
______________________________________________________

I rest my case... Poor me..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww..........commiserations!
i knw hw scary those descriptions sound..freaks the hell out of one!
i hv few such notorious ones in my lab too.i was contemplating working with DMF few weeks back...its the 'baap of all hazardous chemicals'

Anonymous said...

heyyy jaya..got here from chood's blog. be careful near HF!! A few weeks back I got into an accident in the clean room and got carted away to the emergency room. they couldnt diagnose the problem exactly, but I think I inhaled anhydrous HCL from one of the polysilicon furnaces!! After that, I read the huge safety, literally pored over word in it, before I stepped in there again.

Anonymous said...

i meant to say that "I read the huge safety manual and literally pored over every word in it".

Jaya said...

AK - HF is faaaaaaaaaaar more poisonous than Anhydrous HCl... Adhuke ipdiya?? Be careful dude... Yeah, diagnosis is really a problem... so.. paathuko!

Post a Comment